Wednesday 17 March 2010

Moooo! Mmmmman!

Our childminder is on holiday this week, but I'm teaching, and not only that, I needed to drive to another university 2.5 hours from here with a colleague to visit another colleague to talk about a thing. This week has been a patchwork of friends helping with Nina. Apparently it is in fact possible to take care of more than one toddler at a time, and to emerge looking sane and reasonable if slightly tired.

Anyway. I was driving Nina across the city through frustrating traffic, and reflecting on the fact that so many people drive for 45 minutes each way, every day, every working morning. Of course, they eventually get there and park. They typically don't drive back home and get their bike -- but that's the thing about not being able to park at work. Usually I just walk or bike there, but usually I don't have drive my child somewhere first.

Well, Nina is in a vehicle phase, initiated a couple of months ago by two things: going on a plane (and realising that afterwards, it was warm and there was a beach and a pool and grandparents and we were somewhere new), and singing the wheels on the bus song. So our drive was frequently punctuated by "LOOK! Mummy! Look! A BUS!". So I taught her some other vehicle names: truck (but not "lorry": the kid already says "MAHtoes" for "tomatoes"), and van. But she can't say "v". I tried to teach her, by saying "vvvvvvooom, vvvan", and now whenever we're driving:

MOOOOO! Mmmman!

Also, we have this plate, with Mr. Happy on it. She calls it the happy plate. I'm just saying: you know you have a toddler when a member of your household is shouting "aaaaaaaargh, MUMMY, aaaaieeeeeee, happy plate, waaah, haaaaaapppppyyy plaaaaaaattttte AAAAARRRRHHHH, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" It doesn't come across well when typed out. But trust me, it's loud. And sad. And pretty funny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Despite my enjoyment of our "grown-up" time last week, I absolutely adored Nina and was totally blown away. Please keep posting about her! I want to read more :)