Wednesday 16 February 2011

Mornings and evenings

This morning was, like most mornings, a bit of a rush. We're lucky in not having jobs that we actually have to be at, at any particular time, unless of course there's a class to teach or a train to catch. And even those tend to be at 10am or later, except the odd 9am class. So we get up at about 8, or later if we're tired or Nina sleeps in. We eat, get ready (quite minimally, usually, in my case), and one of us takes Nina to nursery. This is usually me, especially since my immobile current condition allows me to park at work. We sign Nina in: 9:30, 9:40, 9:45, or 9:50 ... 
    Every morning, I glance down the column of toddler arrival times. Most run to 8:30, 8:15, 8:20; times when we are barely awake. It's vaguely embarrassing, but why should we go early just for the sake of conformity? I like having breakfast together, eating the muffins we make together, having a cappuccino (a 'chuni' for Nina, ie steamed milk, ideally served in her new Mr Strong mug which was among her favourite Christmas presents).  But eventually I start wanting to get on with it. Today Nina wanted me to read her a story. I didn't. Then she wanted to sweep the floor with her new toy-sized broom, before leaving. I didn't let her. Then she wanted to do all her buttons herself. I let her try for a while but it wasn't working so I insisted. Then I put her shoes on for her and rushed her, whining, out the door. Then (heaven forbid) I didn't put her mittens on for the 10ft walk from the car to the nursery door. In short: today was the first day I dropped her off there with her all sad. She went immediately to Sam, one of her favourite staff members there, for a cuddle first thing. It was so sad. I mean, why shouldn't she sweep the floor? (Be my guest, in fact ... it's not like that gets done too often around here) All I was going to do was come back home and work here anyway. 
   I picked her up at 5:30, brought her home, let her sweep the floor to her little obsessive compulsive heart's content, gave her some channa and rice (again) and then we made muffins and she helped me load the dishwasher. Then she had a bath and slipped around grinning with bubbles on her chin and her bathtime letters sticking to her back, dark hair curling perfectly on her gorgeous little forehead. It was a perfect toddler evening, one of those times when the toddler's had a decent nap and is in a good mood, and you can finally do right by them and praise them for sweeping the floor and you can read the favourite stories and have the awesome cuddles. I just hope it made up for the morning.

No comments: