Thursday 9 December 2010

consistency

So, routine, as you may be aware, has never been my strong suit. Sure, I had heard that kids need it. But I never wanted it. It seems forced to me - why force yourself to eat dinner at the exact same time every day? Some days you might want to cook for longer, eat later. Other days you might want to go to a movie (and I mean you, as opposed to me: when do I go to movies? Still, I like some flexibility) and you'll eat a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. 
    Kids, however, do seem to benefit from consistency, which like routine, is not exactly my strong suit. Several episodes of Supernanny, together with the fading power of the stickers (don't get me wrong, it's still a stroke of genius, but ...) have convinced me that consistent, non-threatening consequences must be added to our sticker program. As a result, tonight after some pre-bedtime manipulation I have implemented a "one chance" policy. As in: Nina, if you don't come and brush your teeth by the time I count to 5, I will carry you there ... then a reminder ... then slow counting ... then carrying. Same for brushing the actual teeth. Same for putting nappy on. Same for everything. Wow. It's LOUD. And SCREAMY. I wonder how long this will go on for, with me going in there every 5-10 minutes and explaining it all over again. I feel like I'll still be doing this at 2am.
  Meanwhile ... I'll remind myself of the good things: the way Nina always wants to kiss me better if I'm hurt, the way she is so happy when I get her from nursery, the way she learns so fast, the hugs, the emerging sense of humour, the singing.  And the way, at least up to now, I've only had to actually be strict like this once or twice for it to sink in -- fingers crossed. And now I feel the tumbling, bonking, turning, kicking feeling of another active child on the way.

No comments: